Thursday, August 1, 2013

Odds & Ends

Just bits and pieces today...we didn't have any time with the kids so no cute photos.  Feel free to skip the blog today.  No judgement.  
We need a good night's sleep because we are headed to the orphanage early tomorrow morning to wake the kids up and get them ready for school...the big boys wake up at 5:30 a.m.  Rise and shine, people!   

There is some adorable art work going up at the big house.  Becki and Jodi are working their magic in Room #1.  Go Jodi!  Go Jodi!
Especially love the cute little chick and his bluebird friends by the entry door.
Becki and Jodi painted murals until dark;  I can't wait to see the final creation.  One room down, only 11 to go!  We had more wonderful help from the CO team this morning...we are going to miss them when they are gone (and we are going to work them to the bone until then!)  So the worksite, as I have mentioned before is a bit chaotic.  Today, for instance, you might ask "Why were you entering and exiting rooms through the window?  Because!!, of course!!, the workers decided today would be a good day to create the cement hallway outside the rooms we were attempting to finish.  Ugh.  Foiled at every turn.
I found this item at the orphanage recently...right on the front step so I'm assuming it had been used recently.
Not sure even David Beckham could do something with this one!  Buy these kids a soccer ball, wouldja?  The truth of the matter is that 89 kids can be rough on a soccer ball.  The good news is the CO team brought several sport balls so their has been no interruption in their soccer playing craziness..
After working hard all day at the orphanage, we returned home to a locked house.
It's lovely...but it's locked.  In the plus column, it certainly beats "the shack" at the Karibuni. :)  In the minus column, the WiFi is unreliable, my mosquito net was too short for my lower bunk so I had to move to the upper bunk and I can tell you, I'm too old to be climbing to the top bunk.   
We've made several trips to downtown Kitale, grocery store, hardware, bank.  Gotta say, it's a bit rough...not scary rough, just shoddy rough.  I thought this version of "the mall" was rather comical.  At first, I thought the top floor said:
Chris & Co. Church...and I thought, "Lucky!  Chris and his friends have their own church!" and how appropriate that it's on the top floor.  Wouldn't want to be shopping at this mall during an earthquake...just sayin'.  I particulary like the "Wedlock Bridal Shop" on the second floor...just not sure that would be my name of choice for a wedding shop.
And finally, most homes have a watchman who opens the gate.  The Karibuni had several off duty military men and their machine guns.  The guest house we are staying in presently has Bennet and his machete.  
And the orphanage has a guard sheep, no weapon. (But Deanna wants to shear him for his wool!!)
Goodnight!
Tish



1 comment:

  1. Hi Tish!
    I just caught up with all of your entries... wow!!! Your teacher is going to love to read your "How Did I spend My Summer" report! They are so lucky to have your drive, determination, intelligence and warm-loving personality!! LOVE the chicks and wall paintings. BTW the Cyber Cafe at the "Mall" looks like a cozy place if the WiFi at your house continues to be sketchy.

    ReplyDelete