Sunday, August 4, 2013

Visitor's Day!

Counting down to departure.  Ready to go home, collect my children from camp and eat a Dairy Queen Blizzard...but sad to see this wonderful experience end.  
It's Sunday...went to church this morning.  Once again, it was a rip-roaring adventure.  There was a Kenyan guest speaker with a Scottish accent...which I found comical.  Don't even really know what to say about the tent church experience because it is so over-the-top, dramatic and entertaining...oh, but obviously not entertaining enough for this weary church-goer.  
After church, I met up with my friend, Phil, from England and his friends, Damian, Lorna and Pauline.  I had met Phil at the Karibuni two weeks ago....and was sufficiently impressed because he is willing to risk life and limb and take a piki-piki into town.  (A piki-piki is an unlicensed motorbike taxi...yikes!)  His church in England recently built an orphanage in the interior of Kenya and his group had just returned from welcoming the first twenty residents.  He had expressed interest in seeing the Mighty Acorn House...so we made plans to do that today.  It was nice to share that beautiful building and the concept behind it with like-minded people.  
So, we are leaving on Tuesday...hard to believe.  I really wanted to say goodbye to some of the bigger kids who are at boarding school in Kitale...so Erick (number one ceiling painter...tall man in the photo), Irene (house mom dazzling in purple and pink) and I (frumpy in well worn and slightly stinky clothing that never seems to completely dry in the elusive Kenyan sun) went over to the Central Primary School for a visit.  
We didn't know it was "Visitor's Day" (the first Sunday of every month, in case you want to stop by) but as soon as we arrived at the school gate, we saw all the other families there visiting their children.  I'm so glad we went!  The Seeds kids saw our van and went crazy...they were so happy!  We had some sodas, toured the grounds and visited for an hour or so.  The Seeds kids were at the top of the popularity pole today because they had a mzungu visitor...so glad I could contribute!  
(Check out the two boys sharing my iPod Nano...which hasn't had power for about three days...but they look cool anyway.)
The kids had test results from last week's exams posted...so I had to visit each classroom and read off the scores for 14 children.  Oddly, the scores were posted eight feet off the ground so I had to stand on a desk to read them.  Why do I have to risk my life to read a test score?!  Anyone?   
Once again, those big boys, Abuid, Laban, Andrew and Grivin, stole my heart.  When it came time to say goodbye, I cried (of course!) and then Abuid was getting teary and Grivin started to cry.  I apologized for crying and told them this is just what mothers do...can't be helped.  Such awesome boys...I will miss them.  
Tish

2 comments:

  1. Safe travels HOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved reading about your experience. Great voice in your writing. I hope you continue to blog from home! Safe travels to you. :-)

    ReplyDelete