Friday, July 26, 2013

Kipsongo...

This afternoon I visited the Kipsongo slum...I'm not quite sure what to say.  Those in the CO group who had been there in 2011 said it was much improved.  I'm afraid to think of how it used to be.
Many of the traditional plastic and stick houses have been replaced with homes made of sticks and cow dung.  The residents are primarily from the Turkana tribe from northern Kenya who were pushed out of their homeland by refugees from other countries (Sudan, Ethiopia, Somalia).
The children were beautiful like all children around the world.  But these children were dirty and clothed in items we wouldn't even send to Goodwill.
The most difficult thing for me was one man begging me to take his two daughters to the new orphanage.  Amazingly, he new the name "Acorn"...he kept saying "ah-corn" with the emphasis on "corn".  He followed me throughout the walk presenting his girls, telling me their names and begging for help.  "Mama, dead," he kept saying.  You all know I'm a crier...Hallmark commercials, the national anthem.  I held it together until Phillip, our driver, opened the car door for me and I got in.  I was very sad...still am. 
One happy moment in the slum...I was walking through and heard my name, "Teesh, Teesh."  I thought, "Who could possibly know my name here in the slum?"  I looked over and there was Sarah, mother of Beryl and Collins, who live at the orphanage and attend Seeds Academy.  I met her after the "Praise God, Amen" church service last Sunday.  We hugged enthusiastically.  You've never experienced a hug until you hugged a Kenyan woman...both cheeks, big squeeze!
She took me aside and asked me to please find a sponsor for Joseph...the boy in the striped jersey.  So...if anyone would like to sponsor a little man, give him a safe home, time with siblings, Beryl and Collins, food every night, an education and endless hugs...let me know and I will make it happen!  Tell two friends and ask them to tell two friends.  (You might have to give up a few trips to Starbucks every week...but, believe me, it's worth it.)
I did paint at the orphanage today.  Also enjoyed some quality time with the house Mamas who do the cookin', cleanin' and lovin' for 89 children...can I get an "amen"?!  
Here we are sitting on the veranda (their words, not mine) of the orphanage.  Irene, in red, is getting her hair braided by her friend, Scovia...and we are both sorting rocks and who-knows-what out of the beans.  They commented that I wasn't very speedy with my rock sorting.  Sorry...first time!!!  When I told them we don't have rocks in our beans at home, they said, "Oh, those are 'polished beans'...but they are more expensive."  We've been eating "polished beans," who knew?! 
And finally, a photo of two of my favorite girls, Irene and Rosalida.  Just found out they were sisters during my visit to school today...AND that Button (See "Look at My Bracelet, Man!") is their brother!!  Cutest gene pool, ever.
Tish

    


10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I'm really enjoying following along with you. :-) Can you email me about sponsoring a child? Thanks! a bridson @ gmail . com (minus the spaces)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine MaginnisJuly 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

    Teesh!!!! Love love love your blog and shared experiences!!! So glad things are going well... they are so blessed to have you helping them! Also would be interested in info on sponsoring one of these lovely children... be well, take good care and enjoy sharing your goodness... AMEN !!!! xoxo The Maginnis'

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're doing such an awesome job with the blog, Tish--of course!! never doubted you. And the work there...again--wow. I'd like to echo the above comments and ask for sponsor info. Also, if you can, how the orphanage vs the Seed school/Acorn, etc is all connected and works. Thanks dear! or you can just tell me over a long lunch that I'm buying for you when you get back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that Nipha is their sister as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tish, thank you for all your hard work and the great blog, I failed to look in the last week and just read it today. I am so happy to hear you spending time with Beryl and Collins. I was blessed to connect with them both while I was there and feel honored to include them in our family. They both look so happy and healthy, we appreciate the pics. We are sending some things to them when Kiara returns and I was hoping you could help us by approximating some sizes for them, I.e., shoes, pants, shirts... I am happy that you were able to connect with their mother and Joseph, when I was there she, and Joseph were staying with her grandmother for safety reasons. I talked with Beryl about Joseph and she was very concerned about him. Beryl and Collins had only just been placed in the orphanage the week that I was there and in many ways they were very sad. I knew that eventually the opportunity to sponsor Joseph would arrise, I'm sure both Beryl and Collins will be happy to be reunited with him. Beryl gave me a picture of the three of them which I'm sure was very valuable to her, tell her I copied it and will send it back with Kiara. Tell them both we think of them everyday and they are always in our prayers. We look forward to coming to see them again in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tish! I am loving this blog. Thanks for sharing your experience there. When I heard you were going, I thought, "She is perfect for this."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved reading this blog. I am interested in sponsoring Joseph. Can you please email me at ashleyy@matildajaneclothing.com with more info. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tish! Denise sent me your itinerary a couple of months ago and I so wanted to connect with you before you left. Echoing Cheri ... you ARE perfect for this! So happy you're there! I am squeezing all of those babies through you. There is no love like Kitale love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christine MaginnisJuly 30, 2013 at 8:38 PM

    Hi Tish, it's Tuesday night and just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you..checking your blog so I can live vicariously!!! Hope you're doing well... Enjoy sharing your wonderful Weber/Teel happiness and peacefulness with all your lovely new friends there... be well.. xoxo Christine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tish! I just found your blog and I can't stop reading it! The pic of Irine and Roselidah filled me with joy! My family sponsors them and their younger sister Nivah Akiru! Our daughters Hillary and Kailey have each spent 3 months with Richard & Hellen in Kitale and their lives have been blessed from the experience!! Our youngest is planning to go back to work with the widows sometime in the next year. We will pray for God's hand to be on the rest of your trip and live through your words and pictures until we can be there. Please give our girls a big hug from their Colorado mum and dad! Cheryl & Rex

    ReplyDelete