Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Seeds Academy Visit

Today is the day Miss Kiara had to leave for home.  :(  It's a sad day.  She will be back in a few weeks for the adventure of a lifetime.  She will be living in the new orphanage with all the girls and working for the Mighty Acorn Foundation communicating between supporters and their sponsored child.  She is perfect for the job.
First stop...a visit to the Seeds Academy, teaching the Baby class (three year olds) through Grade 5.
I'm having a hard time deciding which photos to share!  There are 308 students attending the school and an additional 50 children who come to the feeding center for breakfast and lunch.  And check out these massive pots Phanice and June use to cook the food!
We visited each class and were asked to say a few words to each group.  Lots of clapping between sentences...that was quite funny.  The children were somewhere between amused and impressed when when I used my Swahili phrases. :)  Tomorrow I will visit the school again after lunch with the group from Colorado for an all-out singing and dancing welcome ceremony.  I will also meet, for the first time, Millecent, the girl our family is sponsoring in the new orphanage.  Yay!
Kindergarteners at Seeds Academy...the learning posters on the walls are written on old sacks!
And, finally, to prove "Mimi ni mwafrika" (I am an African!), Linet wrapped my head and I wore it that way all day.  And I liked it!  She said my hair was slippery.  I'm pretty sure that was just an observation and not an insult.  
We primed another girls room today and half of a second.  The workers are continuing to plaster the brick in two rooms and put up the ceilings in the finished rooms...it's quite a crowded, noisy and chaotic place. But all this buzz in activity will result in something pretty amazing.  Back to work tomorrow!
Tish


1 comment:

  1. wow. You're just amazing; Doing a great job, girl. Sending you warm wishes, energy, health & love!

    ReplyDelete