Friday, July 19, 2013

Shoes for 25, please!

Today was an errand day...which takes on a whole new meaning in Africa! 
We visited the new orphanage (here, behind Richard, Kiara and Hellen) and I'm concerned.  It is beautiful, of course, but it is also HUGE! Our current workforce (Kiara and me) and our future workforce (Denise H., Jenna, Deanna, Jodi and Becky) are clearly insufficient for the job.  So, we are currently recruiting volunteers!  The older children are on a school break so they will be available to sand and paint.  And I just sent a frantic email to the leader of a group arriving next week from Colorado Springs begging for help.
Future sanders and painters, Christine and Maximillia.  (Denise D...they asked after you and I told them I would take their picture and send it directly to you!) 
We spent a fair bit of time at the paint store choosing awesome happy colors for the orphanage and working with the paint store owner to determine the outrageous quantity of paint needed. (Donate NOW at www.mightyacornfoundation.com!!) (That's a joke...sort of.)
The last "chore" of the day was meeting the Seeds Children's Home bus at the shoe store in downtown Kitale.  What a thrill!  I got on the bus to shouts of "Who are you?", "Do you have children?" and "Is Mama Denise here?"  And, I had more than one pair of hands running their fingers through my hair as I tried to answer all their questions. 
25 of the 90 children on the bus were in desperate need of new shoes.  I'm not sure what was on their feet could even been categorized as shoes...toes poking out, soles falling off, no straps, no laces, filthy and falling apart.  Two boys, Dillon and Steven, stepped off the bus shoeless... so brand new school shoes for them were a thrill, to say the least.
It was a chaotic but fun adventure as we overran the shoe store, got the children out of the old shoes (don't even get me started on the state of the socks!), measured everyone's feet, and helped 50 feet into 25 pairs of new shoes...most a little roomy for some future growth.  
What a day!  We accomplished a lot.  Visit to the orphanage, check!  Paint ordered, check!  Shoes purchased, check!  I'm learning flexibility is the key to getting the job done in Kenya.
Our day starts early tomorrow.  Sanding, anyone?
Tish

6 comments:

  1. Tell Beryl I saw her pic on your blog and she looks beautiful. Give her a big hug from her family in America and tell her and her brother Collins we think of and pray for them daily. We are sending some goodies for them with the next group from MJ. I wish we could be there to help with the painting and preparations. Scott, Wendy, and family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never complain about not having the right shoes again. BTW I'd rather paint than nit-pick!!! Wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott, I will deliver the hug to Beryl personally! I'll find Collins and deliver the same. I've already given Beryl several but this one will be specifically from you and your family. She is a lovely girl and immediately approached me at the shoe store with a multitude of questions...very inquisitive! She looks well, healthy and happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOu tell those girls Hi and I miss them so much!! I'm so happy you are there with them- Denise
    '

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you post a picture of Susan? Or Suzan? I have seen it spelled 2 different ways. She has a sister Linet and another Night. Just wondering if you see these girls and are they ok? Sorry if you don't know what the heck I am talking about- i don't know about it there.... I work for MJC and at our recent meeting they told an awful story about them. Just worried. I sponsored Susan. Good luck with all of your wonderful work!!! Wish I could help you paint! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will try to find her!! All these girls are not yet in the orphanage but I can ask Hellen about Susan. :)

    ReplyDelete