Wednesday, July 24, 2013

My Girl Millecent

An awesome yahoo sort of day!
Stopped to see my favorite friends at the paint store today...remember the mzungu price for the dust masks?!  We had to pick up the remaining primer, and, miraculously, it was all there!  Of course, I stopped at the store twice yesterday with no luck and just promises that it was coming soon.  We picked up forty 20 liter containers...as pictured here on the streets of Kitale.  The man in orange is Isaac...we are on a first name basis.  :)
I worked at the orphanage with skeleton crew, Erik and Judy, and my lady friends, Josephine, Daphnos, Phyllis, Florence, and Imelda (She said, "Like Imelda Marcos" and I said, "But without all the shoes" and we had a good laugh!  I think I'm in a gang with these ladies...not sure.  
I left Erik and Judy in charge at noon so I could go back to the Karibuni and meet up with the Colorado group for lunch.  We visited the Seeds Academy for the complete and all out welcome ceremony.  The Colorado team was exhausted from their many days of travel but did their best to keep their eyes open during all the songs, enthusiastic dancing, bible verse recitations and poems.  
After the presentation, the kids swarmed.  I was bombarded with questions about our president.  Yes, Barack Obama is our president.  Yes, his father was a Kenyan.  And when they made the statement, "Then, I can be president of the United States too!", I just said "Yes."  Didn't want to burst their bubble with the whole "you have to be born in the US and at least 35 years old" thing.
Most importantly, today, I met the little girl our family has sponsored at the new orphanage.
Her name is Millecent Atieno.  She is 10 years old.  Her birthday is June 6, in case you were wondering.  She lives in the Kipsongo slum with her family, mother Janet Nekeso, father Alois Odhiambo, and five brothers (Joseph, Wilson, Charles, George, Emanuel) and one sister (Dorcus).  And, another important detail, her best friends are Shelly and Anjeline.  :)  She was thrilled to learn I have a sister named Janet and my father's name is Joseph.  "Really? That cannot be true!"  It's true.  Really.  
She's a bit shy and wouldn't look me in the eye unless I asked her to.  I tried the "What color are my eyes?" trick and she said, "White."  :)  It was a thrill to meet her and I feel blessed our family can sponsor her.
More...wait for it...painting tomorrow.
Tish  


No comments:

Post a Comment