Friday, July 19, 2013

Six beds...two occupants.

What's a girl to do with six beds?  Well, let me start off at the beginning.
We arrived in Eldoret last evening and were greeted by Hellen and Richard Makani, the force behind the Seeds Orphanages, Academy and Feeding Center.  Wonderful, warm and energetic people.  It was a chaotic, crazy! trip from Eldoret to Kitale.  Sort of like an an amusement ride with real life obstacles.  Kudos to Richard who handled traffic and navigated endless potholes, scooters, bikes and pedestrians all while passing trucks with a happy toot-toot and avoiding (barely) on-coming traffic.  After one close call, Hellen sort of sing-songed, "Scaring us!" 
The Karibuni Lodge in Kitale is, well, rustic.  After we were shown to our room (a shack with eight beds and a rickety second floor), the matron was none to pleased when I inquired if there were other rooms available.  (My mother always told me it never hurts to ask.) 
Room #1 (as seen above) was just a bit too remote on the property for delicate flowers such as Kiara and myself...and it had one too many gaps in the wall boards for unwanted guests and prying eyes.  :)  The second room was much better...solid walls, a real floor and a bathroom...for joy!  And, we come to the true issue, six beds.  
So many options!  Kiara and I have spread out...three beds a piece.  One for sleeping, one for bags and the last for anything in transit.  Seems to be working out just fine.
And, just so you won't worry, I think the matron and I made up.  I thanked her for allowing us to move to the second room, offered to help with the preparation of dinner, and took my dishes into the kitchen.  (My mother also said, "Kill them with kindness"...it's good advice!)
Tish

1 comment:

  1. so impressed with your blog so far, Tish...you're a natural!! It's funny and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete